Armadale & District War Memorial Association

Registered Scottish Charity No. SC044493

Linlithgowshire Volunteers

 

 

 

1st Administrative Battalion

 

Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers

 

The 1st Administrative Battalion Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers was formed on October 8th, 1862, with headquarters at Linlithgow, and included the following corps, of one company each, raised in the county:-

 

1st,       Linlithgow, raised March 19th, 1860.

Uniform – dark grey without facings and with scarlet piping, dark grey cap with ball-tuft, and brown belts with silver ornaments.

 

2nd,      Bo’ness, raised March 19th, 1860.

Uniform – dark grey with scarlet facings, dark grey cap with ball-tuft, and brown belts with silver ornaments.

Increased to one and a half companies in 1866.

 

3rd,       Bathgate, raised April 25th, 1860

Uniform - dark grey with scarlet facings, dark grey cap with ball-tuft, and brown belts with silver ornaments.

Headquarters changed to Torphichen, 1864.

 

4th,       Bathgate, raised August 9th, 1862, mainly from the employees of Young’s Chemical Works.

Uniform - dark grey with scarlet facings, dark grey cap with ball-tuft, and brown belts with silver ornaments.

 

Additional Corps

5th,       Uphall, raised March 18th, 1872

 

6th,       West Calder, raised April 17th, 1878

 

 

Uniform

 

Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers Officer’s Cross Belt Pouch

 

May 18th, 1863, the battalion adopted a rifle uniform of green with scarlet facings, and shakos with black ball-tuft, and brown belts with silver ornaments.

 

April 25th, 1872, The shakos were replaced by rifle busbies, with black-and-red plume and bugle in front.

 

March 24th, 1876, the lower part of the busby plume was changed to light green, and the cuffs of the tunic became rifle green, ornamented only by a light green Austrian knot.

 

In March 1880 the battalion was consolidated as the first Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers, headquarters at Linlithgow, with seven companies, as follows:-

A -       Linlithgow (late 1st Corps)

B -       Bo’ness (late 2nd Corps)

C -       Torphichen (late 3rd Corps) – 1881 Armadale

D -       Bathgate (late 4th Corps)

E -       Uphall (late 5th Corps)

F -       Addiewell (late half of 6th Corps) (HQ Coy moved to Fauldhouse March 1900)

G -       West Calder (late half of 6th Corps)

 

8th Volunteer Battalion

 

The Royal Scots

 

South Africa, 1901 – 02” Order of Precedence, 216

 

Honorary Colonel  - Rt. Hon. A. P. Earl of Rosebery, K.G.,K.T., V.D., April 18, 1874

 

Headquarters – Linlithgow.

 

In April 1888, by Army Order 144, the corps became the 8th Volunteer Battalion The Royal Scots.

 

Uniform

In 1890, the battalion adopted rifle serge with red piping on the collar and red crow’s-foot on the cuff, the lower part of the busby plume was changed to red, and Slade-Wallace equipment, with black belts was also adopted.

 

In 1903 authority was given for a drab service dress of Scottish pattern with red piping on the trousers, and glengarries with the Royal Scots badge and diced border, to be worn as the sole uniform of the battalion, along with buff belts and black leggings.

 

 

War in South Africa

During the Boer War, 36 members of the battalion, including Captain M.W. Henderson and Lieutenant P.W. Steuart, saw active service, principally with the Volunteer Service Companies of the Royal Scots. Capt. Henderson commanded the 1st, and Lieut. Steuart served with the 2nd Volunteer Service Company, and of the latter Lance-Corporal A. Williamson and Private W. Earle died of disease.

 

The 8th Volunteer Battalion increased its establishment during the South African War, a further two companies being formed in 1900:

 

H -       South Queensferry (Disbanded 1906)

I -        Kirkliston (re-lettered H in 1906)

 

Battalion Distribution 1908

A Company -   Linlithgow

B Company -   Bo’ness

C Company -   Armadale

D Company -   Bathgate

E  Company -   Uphall

F  Company -   Fauldhouse

G  Company - West Calder

H Company -   Kirkliston

Battalion Commanding Officers

 

R.H.J. Stewart, Major, 21st October, 1862

A. Gillon (Hon. Col.), Major, 16th April 1866; Lieut.-Col, 28th April 1870

G.F. Melville, Lieut.-Col, 17th June, 1888

T. Hope of Bridge Castle, late Captain Bombay Staff Corps, (Hon. Col.), Lieut.-Col 9th June 1897.

C. Chalmers, V.D., Lieut.-Col, 11th July 1903

The Barbauchlaw Cup

 

 

The Barbauchlaw Cup

 

Presented By

George Readman, Esquire

Of Barbauchlaw

 

to

C Company. Armadale

8th V.B The Royal Scots

 

October 1897