Armadale & District War Memorial Association

Registered Scottish Charity No. SC044493

William Angus

Victoria Cross

7709 Lance Corporal William Angus

8th Highland Light Infantry


Victoria Cross. (LG 29/06/1915)

For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Givenchy on the 12th June, 1915, in voluntarily leaving his trench, under very heavy bomb and rifle fire, and rescuing a wounded Officer who was lying, within a few yards of the enemy's position, Lance-Corporal Angus had no chance whatever in escaping the enemy's fire when, undertaking this very gallant action, and in effecting the rescue he sustained about 40 wounds from bombs, some of them being very serious.


8th Royal Scots History states:


 "The enemy exploded a mine on the second night, and Lt J. Martin was missing. Early on the morning of the 12th, Lt Martin was observed lying on the German parapet, and was seen to move slightly. Supported by covering rifle and machine-gun fire, No. 7709, L/Cpl W. Angus crept forward, and succeeded in rousing Lt. Martin, who managed to reach our line in spite of heavy bombing by the enemy. L/Cpl Angus also got back, though severely wounded. For this most gallant act, L/Cpl Angus was awarded the V.C."


William and Lt Martin were both members of the 8th HLI and were also both from Carluke.


William Angus was born at 16 Polkemmet Rows, Cappers, Armadale. William’s Father was George Angus, and his mother Margaret (nee Mulloy).


After leaving Armadale when William was a Boy, the family went to Carluke.


On leaving school William became a miner, but later went on to play professional Football, initially as a forward with Carluke Milton Rover, then Glasgow Celtic, and after that he was Captain of Wishaw Athletic.


William was discharged from the Army in 1915 after a spell as a Sergeant with the Cameronians, he married Mary Nugent in Jan 1917, and they had three sons, one Daughter and another child he died early.


William died on the 14th June 1959 at the Law Hospital Carluke, at age 71.


Medal entitlement of Sergeant William Angus

Victoria Cross

1915 Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal



James Crichton

Victoria Cross

14/131 Sergeant James Crichton

Auckland Regiment


Victoria Cross. (LG 15/11/1918)

For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty, when, although wounded in the foot, he continued with the advancing, troops, despite difficult canal and river obstacles. When his platoon was subsequently forced back by a counter-attack he succeeded in carrying a message which involved swimming a river and crossing an area swept by machine-gun fire, subsequently rejoining his platoon.

Later, he undertook on his own initiative to save a bridge which had- been mined, and though under close fire of machine guns and snipers he succeeded in removing the charges returning with the fuzes and detonators.

Though suffering from a painful wound he displayed the highest degree of valour and devotion to duty.


James was the oldest of a family of 4 sons and 1 daughter. His brothers are in order of age, William, married, ex HLI, resided Cowdenbeath; Robert, married, ex Cameron Highlander, invalided from China in 1910, after six years service, resided Upper Craig Terrace Blackridge; David, married resided Northrigg, and his only sister Mrs Andrew Marshall, resided Brae Cottage, situated between Northrigg and Armadale.

James had his schooling at Northrigg Public School up to the fourth standard and he finished the higher standards at Blackridge Public School. At age 12 he entered the mines, and mining, soldiering, and travelling had been his principal occupations since.

In October 1899, he entered the Cameron Highlanders and took part in the later part of the South African War. After taking his discharge in 1905 he returned to mining and resided with his brother Robert, but of a roving disposition, he travelled to America, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Early in 1914 he left Blackridge for New Zealand, and he was engaged as a miner there when war broke out. At once he offered his services for Britain and was accepted. He saw service in Gallipoli, and then was sent to France. He was promoted Quartermaster Sergeant prior to entering France, but gave up his rank to go into the firing line.


It was noted that James was a teetotaller and a non smoker, and all through his life swimming had been his great recreation. The Barbauchlaw and Boghead Burns were the scenes of his early exploits.


Medal entitlement of Sergeant James Crichton:

Victoria Cross

Queen's South Africa Medal with 5 clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902

1915 Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal


James also served during the Second World War. He died at Takapura, New Zealand 25 Sept 1961.